Family-Related Visas

Multi Generation Hispanic Family Standing In Park

For most families, immigration issues can be confusing and traumatic. We handle a variety of family-related visas, including marriage petitions, fiancé petitions, parent/child petitions, and adoptions. Obtaining a visa can be complex, but with the right representation, you will be able to bring your eligible family members together to share the “American Dream.”

Why would we need a family visa?

You need a visa to visit or obtain residency or entry into the United States. There are a number of rules that govern each type. There are two types of family visas, which encompass a number of areas. These visas are:

  • “Immediate Relative” visas, which are for the immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, including biological children, step-children, adopted children, parents, and spouses.
  • “Family preference” visas, which are for siblings, adult children, extended family of individuals who are already U.S. citizens, and permanent residents.

A visa is used to bring a child that was adopted internationally into the United States, helping a fiancé or spouse immigrate to the states, or helping a child or parent immigrate to the states. Every case is unique and is treated differently.

How does this occur?

There are four preference categories for petition – the first preference family-based category, second preference family-based category, third preference family-based category, and fourth-preference family-based category.

United States citizens can petition to have their parents, spouses, and unmarried children to come into the States; however, the process for a spouse or parent is quicker than the process for bringing your children over.

If you are a lawful permanent resident (“Green Card” holder), you can petition for your children and spouse to come over to the States, but you cannot petition for your parents. If your child is over the age of 21, they will be treated differently. US citizens can sponsor their married children, but this be a lengthy process. US citizens can also petition for their siblings to come to the States, which is also a very lengthy process.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and the U.S. Department of State work together in making these decisions. We work on your behalf with these agencies in handling the processing of your petitions for a favorable outcome. We understand how important family is, and we work diligently on your case until you have reunited your family.

Working with an experienced attorney who can advocate on your behalf is key. If you need a family-based visa, call the Universal Law Firm today!